Nicaragua February 17-24, 2018
About the Nicaragua Service Learning Experience
ToaSTY travels to Nicaragua (the 2nd poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere) to build homes in rural communities in desperate need of dignified housing. We are led by Bridges to Community, which works with local communities to find viable, cooperative projects. On 15 trips, over the past 12 years, over 400 congregants have helped to build 82 homes in the small farming communities of Las Conchitas, Ticuantepe, Jinotega, and Nindiri. On our trips, we live amongst the materially poor in their communities. Together we share our food, our thoughts, our laughter, and our dreams. We leave Nicaragua changed forever. We learn about our neighbors, our Judaism, the world, and ourselves. It is the true essence of Tikkun Olam. The trip occurs during the February school break.
The 2018 application can be found here.
Our experiences have resulted in the following:
- Created real change with our fund raising:
- $45,000 in scholarships for high school and university students.
- $25,000 to build a school in Las Perlas, Ticuantepe
- $20,000 to operate of medical clinics for two years running.
- $18,000 for construction of Community Center in Las Enramadas, Ticuantepe.
- $17,500 for the construction of 5 additional homes.
- $14,000 for Sol de Vida. A women’s cooperative in Papayal that provides self-sufficient economic help and access to local, affordable natural medicines.
- $11,700 for the continuation of a computer school in Las Conchitas
- $6000 for the construction of school kitchens and food storage facilities in 5 communities in Ticuantepe. Guaranteeing several hundred children at least one meal a day.
- $6000 in small business loans for 32 families.
- Developed and continue to maintain a strong relationship with the small Nicaraguan Jewish community.
- Performed 1st Nicaraguan Bar-Mitzvah in over 30 years in summer 2005.
- Performed 1st ever Nicaraguan Bat-Mitzvah in summer 2007.
- Celebrate Shabbat with the community each trip.
- Helped to construct 70 homes for needy families.
- Transferred 11 tons of aid to Nicaragua.